Sunday 7 October 2012

Catching up.......

Moves again, but Elder Mitchell stays put......

19th September 2012
Hey everyone. Just to let you all know I am staying in Paignton, but my daddy Elder Martin has left me, he is now a District Leader in Epsom. My new Companion is Elder Van Der Put, who is from Holland. I haven't met him yet, I am currently at the Newton Abbot chapel with our Zone Leader Elder Livingston, and Elder Keller who is serving in Helston. All of us are waiting for our new companions (Elder Keller's companion is Elder Romney, of some relation to Mitt Romney which is pretty cool.) and we have been here sine half past 7 this morning with nothing to really do (there is a mcdonalds across the road though, so guess what we had for breakfast and probably will have for lunch and dinner too if we are here that long... man I am so fat!). We actually had to wake up at 5 though because we were staying down in Plymouth and had to drive from there to here, and there were 5 of us to get through the bathroom etc so it has and will be a long day! Anyway, just thought I would let you all know I am staying put for now.
Love you all
Elder Mitchell

24th September 2012
Hello everybody,
Well this week has been interesting. Driving back and forward to Plymouth was fun, but I am back to bussing it around everywhere. Only thing I will say... buses suck! :(
My new companion elder Van Der Put is great! We are getting along so well. This is his last transfer though, so I have to make sure he works hard for these next 6 weeks, and that he doesn't die too early. The strange thing is though, he has already served in Paignton before, about 4 1/2 months ago, so it is funny seeing all the members reactions when they see he is back. We are getting along really well though.
Well, this week teaching wise has... well let's be blunt, it's sucked! We have seen none of our investigators! Oh yeah, think thats bad, yesterday morning we had 2 baptismal dates, by about 3pm yesterday afternoon.... zero! Andy, we saw him briefly yesterday, but he told us he and his wife are not well, and he doesn't know when they will feel better so he asked us to try by again in a few weeks time, so we had to drop his date. He is still interested though, as he asked us what he could read in the Book of Mormon while he is off work, which is ace so hopefully we can see him again in a few weeks. then vincent, he was at church again yesterday, but he apparently felt pressured into being baptized so all the ward leaders told us off for inviting him in a first teach (which is what the MTC and preach my gospel tells us to do...) and so we have had to drop his date and they don't want us teaching him again just yet. Vincent though is apparently looking to marry a member of the church and they want to ease him into the gospel slowly and make sure he is doing it for him, and not for her, which I understand but, grr! I don't know, but I'm going to stop there before I say anything I don't mean.
We were also meant to see Jimmy on wednesday but he texted us and cancelled (which is good as we were stuck in Newton Abbot all day wednesday), but hopefully we can see him again this wednesday. We have a lot of potentials we are trying to see as well, but either we catch them at a bad time, or they are out. But we have seen a lot of Less-actives this week which has been good. Other then that though, we have done nothing as all of our finding efforts aren't effective as we don't find anyone interested and they all slam the doors in our faces or just tell us to go away, but I'm getting used to that.
Best thing about this week though... we finally got our new washing machine! Yaaaaaaaayyy!!!! :D I shouldn't be that excited about it should I?.... it means no more washing clothes in the bath though so I am happy.
Crazy story from this week though... no ice cubes getting thrown or preachers telling us to burn the Book of Mormon... craziest story from this week is on wednesday, I did have McDonalds for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. It sounded a good idea at the time, but I felt ill afterwards and I don't want to see another McDonalds for about a century but never mind. I'm sorry if I come home fat Becky, I really am.
So that has been my week.
Hope you are all well.
Love you all
Elder Mitchell

1st October 2012
Hello everyone.
Hope you are all doing well.
Well this week teaches wise has been... well its sucked! For the last 2 weeks we haven't had ANY teaches to investigators. Vincent wasn't at church yesterday (and I don't know if the ward actually want us to teach him yet), Andy we will be trying by next week as he said to try by in a few weeks to let him recover, even though I actually saw him down town the other day and he looked fine (I will give him the benefit of the doubt though) and our other investigators Jimmy keeps flogging us so we have had nothing.
So yeah, this week has been kinda hard with no one really to teach. We have still been working with Less-actives though, but we haven't seen as many as we did last week. Miricle of the week though, on wednesday, we went on splits with the Elder's Quorum President and his dad to see some less-active friends of theirs. From it, we saw 3 less-actives between us, and are welcome back at two of those families which is good. We will hopefully see them this week sometime.
We have also been trying to do a lot of finding but it is not working. We have been trying by Potential investigators and former investigators but they all either aren't home or they have moved. We have tried knocking but no one is interested and most people as soon as they see we are missionaries just shut the door without even saying anything which is harsh. We have tried talking to people on the street, but both me and Elder Van Der Put have trouble speaking to people so that has been hard as well, and anyone we do speak to just aren't interested, or are crazy. Like one guy we spoke to, he was a member of the church of england, but he had a theory that God was once a Dragon, but somehow when he created light when he was creating the earth he became a man. He did "explain" this theory to us using scriputres, but how he got that from the scripture he used I have no idea.
On the plus side though, me and Elder van Der Put are getting on great. I am gutted that he is in his last transfer, I wish I could serve with him longer than for 6 weeks, but that is the way it works I guess.
Well sorry, this email isn't all happy clappy etc, but I will work hard and make sure I have happier stories to share in next weeks email.
Oh yeah, mum and nan, I got your letters so thank you so much for your uplifting words, I loved reading them, so thank you.
I love you all!
Elder Mitchell
p.s just a bit of random information for you, I was on exchange in Bideford on thursday (its a massive area in north devon) but there is a place there called "Westward Ho!" I found it funny so I thought I would share that with you. God bless the West Country! bunch of pirates... :P

No comments:

Post a Comment