Sunday 7 October 2012

Paignton

Paignton is the middle Seaside town of Torbay. Torquay is to the North and Brixham is to the South. This area is know as the English Riviera and as I recall benefits from the Gulf Stream, hence the palm trees that Elder Mitchell sees. It's history goes back to 1086 and was a Celtic settlement. It was a small fishing village and a new harbour was built in 1847, with the railway arriving in 1859.

One of the famous residents of the area was Agatha Christie who often visited The Torbay Picture House, sitting in her favourite seat: Seat 2 Row 2.

I have fond memories of my time there. I arrived on the train, and had to get a bus to continue onto Brixham. When I was there, the Radio 1 Roadshow came to town and I had to introduce my companion to this piece of British culture.

I'll try and add some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment