Monday 17 September 2012

Broken washing machines - a day, well a week, in the life of a missionary!


Hello all!
Hope you are all doing well.
This week has been okay, it started out pretty tough. Our washing machine has been broken since last week, with half of my clothes locked inside it until friday, so we have had to wash our clothes in the bath which has been interesting... the office are getting us a new washing machine but chances are we wont get that until friday... more bathtub washes then, fun!... the joys of missionary life ay?
I have just noticed that it is raining outside... that sucks! its the first time it has rained since I have been here, I thought I had finally found somewhere that was immune to rain... I guess not. ah well!
This week has been mainly finding and working with less-actives though. We have only been able to get one lesson with an investigators this week, which does suck, but our other investigators have been out of town or we haven't been able to contact them. It has been good to get to know some of the less-actives here though and working with them. One of them actually made it out to church on sunday (although I didn't see them there, for reasons I will explain in a bit). And finding has been quite hard when let's be honest most people around here are quite... how can I put this nicely without offending anyone... Elderly? Yeah, I know we should preach the gospel to everyone and we do try, but nearly all of them say the same thing... I am *insert age here* I am stuck in my ways and so on. But we are trying our best.
The one investigators we were able to see though was Andy, we saw him yesterday and taught him the Plan of Salvation. It was a good teach and I actually amazed myself at how well it went. When Elder Martin first started talking I was kind of panicing inside as I wasn't sure what to say or what scriptures I could use, but when Elder Martin finished his bit, and it came to me, I somehow knew exactly what to say. It felt amazing. Obviously it wasn't the perfect teach, but I am getting better :) But we invited Andy to be baptized on the 13th of october, and he accepted! The reason we set his date so far away is because we can only see him on sundays as he is super busy and works two jobs. It was a good teach though, and he is a great guy.
Well this weekend was interesting. Newton Abbot ward had a baptism, which we were invited to as Elder Martin was asked to speak. The guy being baptized though, Ian, is in the process of moving from Paignton to Newton Abbot, so currently he still lives here, but he spends most of his time in Newton Abbot with his friend, so that is why he was taught there. 
So yeah, this sunday I spent in the Newton Abbot ward. they are a really nice ward, really friendly and welcoming. The funny thing is my good friend Dann is in that ward, and he taught Elder Quorum which was actually a good lesson. It was great to see him though, and to hear he is still preparign to go on his mission.
But yeah, that has been a sum up of my week pretty much. Let's hope that next week we can get more teaches (and a new washing machine).
Hope you are all doing well, Love you all!
Ciao for now! :P
Elder Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment